Should the DCEU be given another chance? That’s the question on my mind as I watched the Aquaman trailer. I’m a big fan of the character of Arthur Curry, look no further than this teaser for a comedy web series based on him as proof. The series ultimately never made it past this teaser and to be fair it was conceived when I was in high school with my co writer Ryan and we only had a very surface level understanding of copyright.
Pictured: Two Beautiful Idiots
To fully understand the impulse to make a comedic version of Aquaman you need to know that at the time he was little more than a punchline. Mocked for his ability to “talk to fish” as many believed that was his only power. I think the portrayal of him on family guy is much to blame for this misnomer but I digress. That version is in stark contrast to the portrayal Jason Mamoa went for in Justice League and is continuing with his solo film. It’s clear that casting the actor who once played Khal Drogo and is the sexiest man in the world (yeah I said it come at me Blake Shelton… People’s sexiest man? Really? What a joke.) was to make Arthur Curry more appealing to the masses.
With all that said Justice League was still an unmitigated disaster at the box office. Taken from Forbes “Justice League is one of the few movies that could gross “just” over/under $650 million and be considered a whiff. Most superhero movies, most animated films and pretty much everything else under the sun would be considered a glorious triumph with such a figure.” Save for Wonder Woman critically and financially and Batman vs Superman only financially this entire universe has been a miss.
So that begs the question did the trailer do enough to entice fans burnt out on the dark and gritty Snyderverse? It didn’t blow me away but I’m interested none the less, that could be my love for the character and personal excitement over the fact he finally has his own film, I can admit that much. Regardless I’ll be there opening weekend the question is will the general movie goer? If not there’s always a Shazam.
You can follow Brian on twitter
And
Watch out videos on YouTube




No comments:
Post a Comment