Tuesday, June 12, 2018

The More We See Of Death Stranding, The Less I'm Interested-Opinion

In 2016 the world witnessed the first trailer to Hideo Kojima's follow up to Metal Gear Solid 5. A series of surreal images; Norman Reedus, a child and a hauntingly beautiful landscape. This teaser excited long time fans as well as curious outsiders. I found myself in the latter category.

I was never a fan of Kojima's work, not because I thought it lacked quality simply because I just never happened to try his games out. I am a fan of weirdness, look no further than the web series Things We May Have Tried (new episode coming soon) to confirm. So this new game really appealed to me.


Last year we had more trailers and more strangeness but still scarce info. What was this game about? Everyone seemingly wondered but no one really seemed to care. I was instead meet with pleas to not worry about the story, and assurances that all would be revealed in due time.

That brings us to 2018, another E3 and a longer look at Death Stranding. Surely three years into the developement cycle we'd at least get a peak behind the curtain. However that was not the case. After a few minutes of watching the protagonist walk around the dreary landscapes one thought washed over me. "Who cares?".

After that trailer we know two things; Death Stranding is weird and beautiful. Things we knew years ago. When there are so many games ready to go, ready to at least show you what they are about why would someone who isn't a disciple of Kojima care about this game?

So for now I'm out on Death Stranding. I hope it goes away until there is more to say, for now it's the gaming equivalent of a person who speaks a lot but has little to say. Which is probably how many of you feel about this blog post.

You can follow Brian on twitter.
You can hear the opinions of more level headed people on YouTube.

No comments:

Post a Comment