With 2020 in the rearview mirror I’m looking back on the media that got me through it. Unfortunately it was a hard year for theaters, with reports that the biggest chain in the United States AMC needs $750 million to stay in business in 2021. With how things are going with covid that seems unlikely which is disappointing. AMC A-List was a great service, in 2018 and 2019 I saw at least one movie a week, I really took that for granted. I love going to the movies, the last two films I saw in theaters were Star Wars: The Rise of Skywalker and Little Woman, one of those two was truly great while the other was Star Wars. Making the transition to home only viewing was different, I bought a project and tried my best to recreate the feeling. To be honest I really enjoy having my own makeshift theater, but it isn’t the same. So without further ado here are the movies that got me through 2020.
I feel like Onward is relatively slept on as a great Pixar movie. I believe that is due in no small part to it releasing just as everything was shutting down in the United States, combined with having to rent it on Disney+ meant a lot of people missed out. As an older brother myself this film hit me right in the feels, there is a dearth of stories focused on the bond between brothers in my opinion. Which is why this film really stood out to and stuck with me. Couple that with the patented Disney and Pixar world building and charm and you have a truly special film that if you missed you should check out!
Tenet
I’ve been a fan of Christopher Nolan since The Dark Knight. At the time I had no idea that superhero films could be anything more than campy but fun. After leaving the theater I made a note to watch all of his previous films and keep up with his career. An admittedly easy endeavor as his films are some of the biggest blockbusters on the planet. My favorite being Interstellar, a family drama dressed up as a sci-fi action thriller. After that film it was clear to me that Nolan and I shared a concern for what humanity is going to do, to address the fact that we’re quickly using up our planet and soon will be forced to move on or die. Still I was surprised that this theme is central to the plot of Tenet, a unique time travel film. One that admittedly at times is somewhat difficult to follow, if you aren’t being an active viewer. If you’re into time travel, and willing to focus a little bit more than an average, I think this film is worth your time.
Wonder Woman 1984
As I mentioned in my TV Shows That Got Me Through 2020 I am a huge sucker for superhero movies. Doubly so when it comes to DC films, I grew up primarily consuming animated shows and comics from the DC universe and as such I always get excited to see these heroes brought to life in live action. I know that general audiences don’t like Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice or the Justice League but I actually enjoyed both. Something that gets me a lot of flack to this day. So missing out on Wonder Woman 1984 in theaters was a shame, however Warner Brothers came through giving fans the sequel for no extra charge on HBO Max. So the day after Christmas I finally got a chance to check out Patty Jenkins’ latest film. Personally I enjoyed it, it was a welcome escape from the realities of 2020 for a couple of hours. Pedro Pascal and Kristen Wiig both delivered solid villain performances. Questionable ethics surrounding body snatching aside it was a decent follow up to the original Wonder Woman.

No comments:
Post a Comment