Yesterday I covered the video games that helped me get through 2020 and now it’s time for the TV shows that played in the background of our world descending into chaos. To be clear this blog won’t be about TV shows that premiered in 2020, the only criteria was that I watched it this past year. So let’s get this list started with a show literally everyone in the world already watched and loved when it was running except for me.
Avatar: The Last Airbender
Avatar: The Last Airbender premiered in 2005, when I was 12 and had decided that anything animated was baby stuff and I wouldn’t watch it. This didn’t include Pokemon of course because Pokemon was rad, though publicly I told people I didn’t like that show or the games any more because like most adolescents I was desperately trying to seem cool, and like most people who would go on to write blogs online I was failing spectacularly. Regardless my vein attempts to seem cool and more adult resulted in me missing out on a really solid show. One that to my surprise tackled fairly grown up themes about loss, revenge, and featured the main character Aang struggling with potentially having to murder the main antagonist to save lives by ending a war.
I don’t want to spoil the series for people who like me foolishly skipped out on this show as a kid, but I will say the way the show breathes life into its characters would be impressive for any program. Doubly so when you consider it’s a Nickelodeon animated show. I will admit that one episode in particular regarding a fallen soldier (if you watched the series you know) brought a tear to my eye. With all that said, if you’re still on the fence I implore you to watch a few of the episodes on Netflix and see if you’re as engaged as I was, my only regret was realizing I should have watched it much sooner.
The Umbrella Academy: Season 2
Season 2 picks up immediately after the end of season 1 with the main characters scattered across time. In a way it did well to mirror the themes of the first season, the main characters all being forced to figure things out on their own resulting in them becoming fractured once again and realizing they need each other. Elliot Page and Aidan Gallagher again stand out but the ensemble all have great chemistry and make for an enjoyable watch. Once again I want to avoid spoilers but I can’t recommend this series enough!
Fear The Walking Dead
Enter Fear The Walking Dead, a spinoff series on the West Coast following completely new characters led by Kim Dickens’ Madison Clark. A protagonist that I feel could go toe to toe with Rick Grimes in terms of badassery. The first three seasons presented a glimpse at the world of the Walking Dead we missed out on with Rick Grimes in his coma. The slow but still somehow sudden fall of society and emergence of groups of survivors each with their own way of coping with the apocalypse. Much like Avatar, I only regret taking so long to begin watching, though I am also saddened to have caught up so quickly as I now must wait for the next season.
The Good Place
Brian’s Twitter




No comments:
Post a Comment